October 1, 2020
Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Cattlemen’s Association (CCA) is pleased to see that today’s announcement of a $10 billion investment by the Government of Canada and the Canada Infrastructure Bank underscored the importance of growth within Canada’s agricultural sector to Canada’s economic recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic. This investment committed $2 billion into expanding high-speed broadband, and another $1. 5 billion to irrigate additional acres across Canada. CCA believes that these investments will help strengthen our rural communities.
August 18, 2020
Calgary, AB – The Cattlemen’s Young Leaders (CYL) Mentorship Program, a national youth initiative of the Canadian Cattlemen’s Association (CCA), is pleased to announce the 16 finalists for the 2020-2021 program year. The final selection took place through a virtual event held on August 10, 2020, where 24 semi-finalists from across Canada competed for a spot in the CYL program through judged roundtable discussions. The finalists will be awarded a $2,000 travel budget and be paired with a hand-picked industry leader for a nine-month mentorship in their specific area of interest.
August 12, 2020
Calgary, AB - The Canadian Cattlemen’s Association (CCA) is pleased to announce Woodjam Ranch, near Horsefly, British Columbia (B. C. ), as the recipient of the 2020 The Environmental Stewardship Award (TESA). Woodjam Ranch is owned and operated by Ricky and Chad Seelhof along with their children Riata, Cooper and Renee. The couple purchased the ranch in 2013 from Chad’s parents who had owned the property since 2003. The Seelhof Family runs a 500-head black Angus cow/calf business on 2120 acres of cultivated and native rangeland in association with 80,000 acres of crown grazing license area.
July 10, 2020
Calgary, AB - The Canadian Cattlemen’s Association (CCA) is pleased to officially welcome the Canadian Beef Breeds Council (CBBC) as its newest division. This decision was reached by the leadership of both organizations following the work undertaken by an advisory committee to analyze the benefits and costs of the CBBC joining CCA. This increased alignment will result in positive impacts on the entire Canadian beef industry through increased collaboration, coordination, and expanded outreach efforts.
July 1, 2020
Calgary, AB - The Canadian Cattlemen’s Association (CCA) applauds today’s entry into force of the new North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and looks forward to the continued growth of the benefits of free trade. CCA thanks all those involved in negotiating the agreement and the stewarding of the agreement through the respective government processes in a time sensitive manner.
For three decades, the cattle and beef producers in Mexico, Canada, and the United States (U. S. ) have competed and prospered under the trade framework of NAFTA.
June 30, 2020
Calgary, AB – The Cattlemen’s Young Leaders (CYL) Mentorship Program is pleased to announce its 24 semi-finalists for the 2020-2021 program year. The CYL Program is a national youth initiative of the Canadian Cattlemen’s Association, which annually pairs participants with a mentor in their specific area of interest in the beef industry and provides networking and travel opportunities tailored for personal and professional growth. The 24 semi-finalists were selected by a panel of judges from a highly impressive pool of over 50 written applications submitted from young people across Canada ages 18 to 35.
May 19, 2020
“The Canadian Cattlemen’s Association (CCA), along with our North American counterparts, is fully committed to continue enhancing the strength of the North American beef industry under the newly negotiated and soon-to-be implemented United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), which maintains open and duty-free trade,” notes CCA President, Bob Lowe. “There is no doubt that we have an integral trade relationship with the United States – we are excellent trade partners – in fact, we have the largest two-way beef trade in the world, and it continues to be mutually beneficial.
May 5, 2020
The Government of Canada (GoC) announced its initial support today for Canada’s beef industry amongst other agriculture announcements. The portion of the announcement pertinent to the beef industry includes:
$50 million in funding for a set-aside program through AgriRecovery, of which the Federal Government covers 60 per cent of costs and the provinces have the option to fund the remaining 40 per cent