Technical Trade Policy Officer – Ottawa, Ontario
The Canadian Agri-Food Trade Alliance (CAFTA) and the Canadian Cattlemen’s Association (CCA) seek a Technical Trade Policy Officer. The successful candidate will have a proven familiarity with trade policy and have good writing, analytical and organizational skills. The position is split between the CCA and CAFTA.
Job Description – CAFTA
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Trade Policy Officer will play an operational support role in backing the mandate of the organization.
The Trade Policy Officer will undertake the following;
- Assist in the monitoring of trade policy developments and related legislative matters
- Conduct broad research including on trade statistics, for preparation of trade policy materials (presentations, briefings, monthly newsletter, appearances before parliamentary committees etc.)
- Assist in the management of the CAFTA office and provide support for operations as needed in accordance with core competencies of the job
- Coordinate lobby meetings, communications and outreach
Job Description – CCA
Reporting to the Director of Government and International Relations the Trade Policy Officer will support CCA’s domestic and international trade policy development and analysis
- Monitor international trade notifications and preparation of CCA response when required
- Maintain and monitor relevant trade data
- Develop and maintain country profiles
- Develop and disseminate trade policy materials (presentations, briefings, communications etc.)
- Foreign Trade Committee support in partnership with the Director
- Assist with events and lobby days as part of the CCA Government Relations Team
Desired Skills and Experience
- Related university degree
- Experience conducting research and compiling data on a variety of topics for briefings and reports
- Strong computer skills in MS Office, especially in Excel
- Good written communication skills
- Previous desk research skills
- Knowledge of international trade, foreign affairs
- Assets: French
How to apply
Please send your cover letter and resume in one document to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org Please indicate “Technical Trade Policy Officer- last name” in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please.
Work hours and pay
This is a full time position based in the shared CCA/CAFTA office in Ottawa, starting immediately. Limited travel may be required. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Canadian Agri-Food Trade Alliance is the voice of Canadian agri-food exporters, a coalition of national organizations that support a more open and fair international trading environment for agriculture and agri-food. CAFTA’s members include producer organizations, processors, marketers and exporters from the major trade dependent sectors in Canada. Together, these sectors represent 90 per cent of Canada's agriculture and agri-food exports, about $60 billion in business annually and an economic activity that support one million jobs across Canada.
The Canadian Cattlemen’s Association (CCA) is the national voice of Canada’s 60,000 beef farms and feedlots. Founded by producers and led by a producer-elected board of directors, CCA works to address issues that concern Canada’s beef producers.
Canfax Research Services - Research Analyst
Canfax Research Services (CRS) provides the Canadian beef industry with comprehensive statistical and market information on the domestic and global beef trends. Economic analysis is utilized for marketing, research, policy and investment decisions, supporting strategy and business plan development, as well as performance measurement. CRS monitors data sources from national statistics and develops new economic models to make annual outlooks and evaluate the impact of management decisions on cost of production. CRS maintains its independence as a third-party source of unbiased market information and analysis, maintaining operations through regular publications, long-term contracts and projects.
The research analyst position is responsible for database maintenance, background research, statistical and market analysis for regular publications and specialized research projects. The successful candidate will be involved in collaborating on existing contracts and specialized research projects in the areas of productivity, sustainability, policy, and global market development as they relate to the Canadian beef industry.
Status: One-year, full-time, contract position with flexible start date
• Database management, statistical analysis, and model development in Excel
• Access international online databases
• Timely response to data inquiries
• Solid research skills for literature reviews
• Market analysis, technical writing, and PowerPoint development for several regular industry publications
• Industry presentations
• Applicants must have a degree in agriculture, economics or business
• Basic understanding of agricultural economics and economic modeling
• Familiar with general database maintenance techniques and challenges
• Familiar with the agricultural production systems
• Ability to work independently with a strong self-motivation work ethic
• Good time management with the ability to work on multiple projects at a time
• Strong attention to detail, particularly in relation to data management
• Chart development, editing and analysis
• High standards for professional materials
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Strong written communication skills
Salary: Negotiable and dependent on qualifications and experience
If you are interested in this position, submit your cover letter and resume to: Brenna Grant, Manager at email@example.com.