Calgary, AB – The Cattlemen’s Young Leaders (CYL) program, a national youth initiative of the Canadian Cattlemen’s Association (CCA), is pleased to announce the 26 semi-finalists vying for 16 mentorship positions in the 2017 program year.
The 26 semi-finalists were selected from a pool of more than 50 applicants from across Canada based on the strength of their online applications, which were evaluated by a panel of judges. The semi-finalists will face the final round of the competition at the Canadian Beef Industry Conference (CBIC), August 15-17, 2017 in Calgary, AB at the BMO Centre.
Finalists for the 2017-18 program year will be selected at the CYL Selections and Graduation event on August 15, 2017 in Calgary, in conjunction with the CBIC. The 26 CYL semi-finalists and program graduates will also be attending the CBIC conference.
The 2017 CYL semi-finalists are:
• British Columbia: Taylor Grafton, Carley Henniger, Alecia Karapita, Andrea Haywood-Farmer;
• Alberta: Lee Creech, Kaycee Lunde, Matt Kumlin, Ben Wilson, Lacey McRae, Kailin McLachlan, Cale Toews, Ashley Gaudet, Cameron Olson, Kayla Weston, James Jenkins, Melissa Lee;
• Saskatchewan: Allan Hjertaas, Kaitlyn Polegi, Shane Rogers, Quinn Anderson Folk, Mandy Gabruch;
• Manitoba: Rachel Verwey, Alyssa Hamm, Jordan Dahmer;
• Ontario: Blair Williamson;
• New Brunswick: Amy Higgins.
Following the final selection, CYL candidates will be paired with a mentor for a nine-month mentorship in their area of interest. In the past, the program has seen a wide range of focus areas. These range from production focuses such as extended grazing seasons, nutrition and embryo work to marketing, trade and industry policy and advocacy work. The mentors are handpicked to best suit each individual CYL and set them up for a successful and productive program year. CYLs gain knowledge in their area of interest, exposure to the CCA and its provincial member associations, and benefit from an expanded network and opportunities for personal and professional growth.
For further information, contact:
Youth Leadership Coordinator
Canadian Cattlemen’s Association
firstname.lastname@example.org | 403.275.8558 x 316